Last academic year I sent you information about the residential trip which we have on offer for your children when they go into Year 6. We delayed confirmation of the booking and requesting deposits during the school closure.
We have decided that we would like to move the residential trip to slightly earlier in the Autumn term to support the development of relationships between pupils and staff at the start of the year and we hope that the weather will be better and the evenings lighter.
We are proposing that the trip will take place between Monday 11th October and Friday 15th October 2021.
In addition to the change of dates, we have also made enquiries with another very popular residential school trip provider, ‘Kingswood’. They are able to offer a very similar package to PGL which we believe is better value for money. They are a very experienced provider and we have carried out detailed enquiries to ensure they are able to meet all our needs.
We have made a provisional booking with Kingswood at their Grosvenor Hall Centre in Ashford Kent.
We currently estimate the total price for the trip will be around £300. This includes the cost per pupil for the course, plus coach costs and insurance. (Childcare vouchers may not be used for any part of the payment for this trip). We will be able to finalise the exact cost after the deposit payment is made.
Please find below the payment schedule:
- £40 due by Friday 25th September 2020 (non-refundable once payment has been made to Kingswood)
- A further £60 interim payment will need to be made 8-12 weeks after the first deposit (date to be confirmed)
- Final Balance due by Friday 25th June 2021 (this can be made in full at any time after the second payment, or can be paid in installments)
Overview of Proposed Trip to ‘Grosvenor Hall’
- ‘Grosvenor Hall’ is a Kingswood Centre in Ashford, Kent
- Located in 52 acres of grounds, it is a large capacity centre so we will not be the only school
- Children sleep in accommodation blocks comprising 2-8 bed single sex dormitories, some with shared/communal bathrooms and some with en-suite bathrooms
- Teachers have separate rooms located within the accommodation blocks
- The site is fully secure with one entrance/exit to the site which is manned fulltime
- A team of professional, trained staff from the centre are dedicated to looking after the group
- There are qualified instructors for specific activities, including First Aid trained staff
- We will travel by coach
- All 90 children will have the option to attend at the point of deposit
- We plan for an adult to pupil ratio of around 1:9
- Price includes; full board, activities, instructors, equipment, evening entertainment programme, Kingswood staff, insurance cover and ABTA bonded, so you are guaranteed financial security
- When organising accommodation, we do our best to allocate rooms based on children’s preferences, but we are restricted with the rooms we are given. All children will be allocated to a room with at least one of their friends. We tell the children who they will be sharing with once we arrive at the Centre and not before.
- We have selected their Adventure Programme – This combines a variety of activity sessions, from aerial adventures to fun problem-solving initiatives. There will be a daily programme of adventure experiences, which encourage pupils to bond and work together as a team, as well as develop confidence, resilience and life skills.
- Accompanying staff take cameras/ipads and photograph the children over the week. These photos are then produced into a DVD for the children as a keep sake.
- Children are not permitted to take electronic items, cameras or mobile phones
- Children are expected to demonstrate the same high standards of behaviour that are required in school. Teachers or Kingswood staff have the right to withdraw children from activities if their behaviour is unsafe. If there is a serious misdemeanour you may be called and asked to come and collect your child.
Further information can be found in the attached presentation and on the Kingswood website https://www.kingswood.co.uk/
Kingswood require a £40 deposit per child to confirm the booking. This deposit is non-refundable. Please make payments through ParentPay to confirm your interest. Deposits must be received by 5pm on Friday 25th September 2020. As long as we have enough deposits (at least 30 children), we will send payment to Kingswood and confirm the booking. If we do not receive enough payments, we will have to look at alternative arrangements for your child’s residential trip in Year 6 and any payments will be returned to you immediately.
Parent/carers of children who are in receipt of certain benefits, or have ever been in receipt of them, may apply for assistance with part of the cost of the trip. You will need to make a request in writing (letter or e-mail) to Mrs Conway (email@example.com).
If you would like your child to attend the Year 6 Residential trip to Grosvenor Hall, Ashford, Kent between Monday 11th October and Friday 15th October 2021, please make payment of £40 only (non-refundable) on ParentPay by Friday 25th September 2020. If you do not secure your child’s place with a deposit at this point, your child may not be able to attend. We can make requests for additional places after this date, but it will be dependent on availability and we cannot guarantee you a place.
We do ask for parent volunteers to attend the trip. There is no cost for parent helpers. If you are interested in helping, then please let me know via e-mail. We will not be able to confirm parent helpers until the end of Spring Term/beginning of Summer term in 2021.
If you have any questions about this trip, then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Mrs Caroline Cox
Deputy Head Teacher